Assembly passes grocery employment mandate
Assemblywoman Lorena Gonzalez’s AB359 places a number of mandates on the purchaser of a grocery store that is larger than 15,000 square feet:
- The new owner must employ the store’s workers for at least 90 days after the purchase.
- If the new owner does not require as many employees, the workers must be retained based on seniority.
- None of the retained employees can be fired “without cause.”
- The new owner must provide a written performance evaluation for each worker and “shall consider” offering workers continued employment after 90 days.
- The new owner must abide by the collective bargaining agreement that was in effect for the previous owner of the store.