Site icon SD Rostra

A Q&A: Cuts to libraries and rec centers

I received an email Thursday from Voice of San Diego’s City Hall reporter asking for the councilman’s position on proposed cuts to libraries and rec centers.

I had written a blog post a day earlier on San Diego Rostra that said some local reporters weren’t giving the City Council much of a say in stories about the proposed cuts. 

The email from Liam Dillon at the Voice said he was asking each council office the same questions, which resulted in a post published yesterday.

The threat of cuts to libraries and rec centers continues to gall some San Diegans, so I’m going to share each of the questions the reporter asked along with our response:

Do you believe the proposed cuts to branch library hours and recreation center hours will stay in the budget?

If no, where should the estimated $11 million to stave them off come from?

Also, if no, do you think there will be any cuts to library and rec center hours?

Will you vote for a budget that includes cuts to libraries or rec center hours?

The next morning I sent another email to Liam:

I forgot to mention that Kevin is in discussions with local tourism leaders and the San Diego Foundation. The talks are focused on saving the firepits from the budget ax this year and in the future: http://bit.ly/eot6Ig

Exit mobile version