Your Rostra Blogpen – Click on Name for Entries by Each Author … Scroll down for Recent Comments & What’s Hot on Rostra

Have a Hot Political News Tip?

Send us a news tip at info@sdrostra.com

Archives

Recent Comments

Thursday, November 8, 2012
posted by Carl DeMaio

San Diego is an amazing city – and it is time to come together to put the best interests of our city first.

All the votes are still being counted, but as the current tally shows us coming up short, I intend to support Bob Filner as he begins transition efforts.  Nevertheless I want to assure every San Diegan that we shall ensure every vote is counted, and we shall accept the final outcome of this race.

I want to thank the tens of thousands of San Diegans who supported me in this election – and the thousands of San Diegans who took an active role in our campaign by walking neighborhoods, donating funds, volunteering on phone banks, and organizing events.

We have much to celebrate and be proud of.

We found a city that was hiding a severe financial crisis and we brought that crisis to public light.

We defined a bold “Reform Agenda” to fix the city’s financial problems and hold government accountable to the people.

We successfully implemented that “Reform Agenda” to balance the city’s budget and reform the city’s unsustainable pension system.

While other cities are declaring bankruptcy and slashing services, San Diego is on the rebound and is now considered a national model thanks to your efforts!

While this is an end of a campaign for me, I want to assure you it is not the end of my service to San Diegans.

I intend to stay actively engaged in standing up for the interests of San Diego taxpayers.

I pledge to help the new Mayor and City Council in any way I can.  We are handing off a city with a solid financial foundation, and it is my hope that the new Mayor and City Council build on that foundation and stay on the course to full financial and economic recovery for our city.

Thank you again San Diego.  Our city has a bright future, and it is up to all of us to work together to achieve that future.

11 Responses to “Thank You”

1. Steve Greer says:

I’m no DeMaio fan, but this is classy.

2. Patricia Madden says:

Maybe you should have hired Tom Shepard instead of Revolvis.

3. B-Daddy B-Daddy says:

Thank you Carl for all you have done for taxpayers.

4. Al says:

Maybe… he could have been a better candidate?

5. Juan F. says:

Thank you for pushing the government reform message that this city needs Carl. After Filner’s term is up, there will be even more to be reformed.

6. Filner has Obama to thank for his win. No way Filner would have won in June, or in November 2014.

7. Hypocrisy questioned says:

Richard,

Are you saying that Filner could only have won an election where most of the electorate voted? To phrase that another way, could DeMaio only win if a good percentage of eligible voters chose not to vote?

So who do you think represents the ideas and values of the majority of the population and not just the high propensity voters?

8. Hypocrisy, it’s a fair point. But it’s also true that the infrequent voters are the ones that know the least about the issues. Filner’s edge was seldom-voting Democrats voting for all the Democrats on the ticket — regardless of issues.

Come to think of it, how could ANYONE vote Democrat (outside of public employees), given the issues?

For the Democrat Party, ignorance is bliss.

9. Hypocrisy questioned says:

Richard,

Then don’t you think it is incumbent on the Republican Party to try to educate the masses and not just play to the base? If the Party platform is really full of ideas that would benefit the majority, then the Party should be able to become the majority party instead of one that appeals only to a rapidly shrinking demographic.

10. Hypocrisy, note who controls the education of the “masses.” I have met no more statist a demographic group than 12th graders — having spent 12 years in govt schools taught by govt teachers, controlled by govt employee unions, using govt-approved textbooks — all of which screen out or denigrate any limited government, pro-liberty concepts.

Then note who controls the MSM.

“Educating the masses” against such overwhelming propaganda is too big a hill to climb for a political party. Only economic failure MIGHT change the masses’ Big Government minds — and that’s a toss-up, at best.

Things MUST get worse in order to have a CHANCE of getting better. I’m NOT advocating such misery — just my opinion of the only avenue that will facilitate change.

Indeed, the departure from CA of every wealthy person, every tech educated person, every ambitious or entrepreneurial person is perhaps doing our state some long term service — teaching that oppression and confiscation has consequences. We shall see.

11. Ms. Right says:

Although I agree with Richard Rider, the odds are very high that the Dems will grow in this state because of the education system. Kids are being taught that global warming exists, that rich people got that way off the backs of poor people, that they should work for social good and not money. I’m not wealthy, and I’m sure to never get there if I stay in California.

Too bad Richard couldn’t be all of the state to inform about prop 32, that would have been a sweet one to win.

Social Widgets powered by AB-WebLog.com.